A pdf of the transcript for this episode is available here.
In this episode, John and Ryan answer questions on the following topics:
- Logistics of scheduling multiple site visits
- Tips for organizing travel plans
- How to stay healthy (physically and mentally) while traveling during the winter
- Tips for handling nerves leading up to and during interviews
- What types of materials to look over in order to prepare for the interview day
- How often interviewers ask about specific application materials (e.g., essays, CV)
- The most common interview questions and how to navigate them
- Tips for preparing for performance-based questions and interview styles
- Do’s and don’ts for self-disclosure during interviews
- Fielding potentially personal or inappropriate interview questions
- Most helpful type of information to get from current interns
- How to keep information from multiple sites organized
- Post-interview thank you notes – good or bad idea?
- Tips for ranking sites and weighing criteria
- And more!
- A variety of relevant training resources
- For a set of potential problems or issues that come up during the process – APPIC has a system for handling these
- Interview questions that are legal and illegal in Canada
Parent, M. C., Weiser, D. A., & MCCourt, A. (2015). “So what are you?”: Inappropriate interview questions for psychology doctoral and internship applicants. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 9(2), 136-143.
- A paper written for training directors and faculty about inappropriate interview questions. It includes a list of inappropriate questions. Unfortunately, it does not include advice on how to answer these questions – you should think through this part and get advice from colleagues/supervisors.
- APPIC’s advice to training directors about how to conduct interviews – FAQs
- Advice from APA gradPSYCH on how to answer five big interview questions:
- Why do you want this internship?
- Tell us about a good and a bad experience you’ve had with a client
- What is your professional philosophy
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Do you have any questions for us?
- Many sample questions and a lot of other internship-related materials
- Good guide for interviewing, traveling, and a lot more
- The Society for Clinical Neuropsychology’s Education Advisory Committee typically offers an interviewing workshop at the annual APA convention.
This was quite helpful! Thank you! The additional resources listed with the podcast were also very useful. I appreciate you taking the time to help those of us “NAV”igating these processes now : )
So helpful, thank you! Good information and the quality of the podcast is great too.
Great episode! John and Ryan provide tremendous insight into a challenging process.
This was so helpful, thank you!! Meg Collier brought me here. 🙂
Comments are closed.