In this episode, John and Ryan answer questions on the following topics:
- Logistics of scheduling multiple site visits
- Tips for organizing travel plans
- How to stay healthy (physically and mentally) while traveling during the winter
- Tips for handling nerves leading up to and during interviews
- What types of materials to look over in order to prepare for the interview day
- How often interviewers ask about specific application materials (e.g., essays, CV)
- The most common interview questions and how to navigate them
- Tips for preparing for performance-based questions and interview styles
- Do’s and don’ts for self-disclosure during interviews
- Fielding potentially personal or inappropriate interview questions
- Most helpful type of information to get from current interns
- How to keep information from multiple sites organized
- Post-interview thank you notes – good or bad idea?
- Tips for ranking sites and weighing criteria
- And more!
- A variety of relevant training resources
- For a set of potential problems or issues that come up during the process – APPIC has a system for handling these
- Interview questions that are legal and illegal in Canada
Parent, M. C., Weiser, D. A., & MCCourt, A. (2015). “So what are you?”: Inappropriate interview questions for psychology doctoral and internship applicants. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 9(2), 136-143.
- A paper written for training directors and faculty about inappropriate interview questions. It includes a list of inappropriate questions. Unfortunately, it does not include advice on how to answer these questions – you should think through this part and get advice from colleagues/supervisors.
- APPIC’s advice to training directors about how to conduct interviews – FAQs
- Advice from APA gradPSYCH on how to answer five big interview questions:
- Why do you want this internship?
- Tell us about a good and a bad experience you’ve had with a client
- What is your professional philosophy
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Do you have any questions for us?
- Many sample questions and a lot of other internship-related materials
- Good guide for interviewing, traveling, and a lot more
- The Society for Clinical Neuropsychology’s Education Advisory Committee typically offers an interviewing workshop at the annual APA convention.